Saturday, January 30, 2010

Moroccan wedding blankets

I have long been obsessed with Moroccan wedding blankets. I'm a sucker for anything sparkly!

For our wedding this past August, we were lucky enough to be able to rent a lot of Moroccan furniture from Badia Design including some wedding blankets. Some photos below and you can see more here.





We ended up purchasing a small red wedding blanket rather than renting it. We stood on it during the ceremony, then had it relocated for the reception. It's now dry cleaned (a risk that paid off!) and I'm looking for a way to display it properly. The way that the light hits the sequins is really incredible. I wanted to hang it above our couch but we may be moving so my husband thinks we should hold off.



BUT I've also always hankered after a black one. I did a little research today and came across for the second time Maryam of My Marrakesh who has a black one. See photos below. It's stunning!! No idea where I would put it, but I may have just sent her a little Email to enquire if it's still available and how much it is. Fingers crossed. Maybe a birthday present?!





Here's a little about the blankets in Maryam's own words via Apartment Therapy:

"They are Berber in origin and were/are woven by women weavers. Each sequin painstakingly sewn on by hand. A single blanket can take many months to produce, depending on the complexity of design and the number of sequins. The loom in Morocco is treated as a living thing and treated with extreme care. If the weaver takes care in the weaving process, then the textile she produces is believed to have talismanic power and to protect the user from the evil eye."

Here are some other photos of some gorgeous wedding blankets, the first from Maryam, the second two from E-mosaik.







While we're on the topic of E-mosaik, that's where I'll be going for our next coffee table, I want one of these bad boys whenever we retire our antique indian oxcart. I love the oxcart but it will have to be retired one day, because it's HUGE and won't fit in most living rooms, plus is also covered in sharp pointy bits that have ripped many of my pants and my skin on several occasions - not exactly child friendly!! I spotted an oversized brass tray table at E-mosaik the other day and it was love at first sight! 5 foot diameter, not cheap, but gorgeous!!





I'm also keen to purchase one of the silver ones we rented from Badia Design from the wedding, they were a custom order and there are only two so though we don't have space for them right now, it's tempting to purchase one and store it for the next house, as once they're sold they're gone! You can see it below and it also appears in the title of my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment